Monday, July 25, 2005

WHO WILL DARE TO LOVE A WITCH?



Who will dare to love Suzanne Wenger
Should be ready to love a witch.
And you dare not snitch
For who will dare the anger?
So, they warned me.
But, I am the one who has won the hearts of the nine daughters of Jove
With the beats of my Talking Drums of love.


I have sailed in the seven seas of the seven sirens
And I have lured away the daughters of Venus
I have danced in the courts of the celestial angels
And played my Talking Drums to the crescendo of their bells.


Who Will Dare to Love a Witch?

Ah, Suzanne!
Awesome daughter of Wenger
Wenger of the kingdom of Austria
Since forty-five years ago
You came to Nigeria.
You came and discovered Osun and Shango.
And you began to hear and see things
In the grove of the spirits of the Yorubas
You were hypnotized by the talking drums
And you fell in love with the drummer
As he drummed into your eardrums
You were mesmerized by the Bata dancer.
That was even before I met you
At the Museum Kitchen of the National Museum
The meeting place of the kindred of the lyceum.


Ah! Suzanne
Piercing blue eyes and golden hair
Your white skin is no longer fair
Now tanned in the African sunlight
So, it is no longer bright
Yellow and sallow
But your voice is still mellow.
As you converse with your own shadow.
And they say you talk to the spirits
The spirits of your elemental wits
The spirits who sucked all your tits?
The spirits of the unborn"Abiku" children
The "Abiku"children of your eternal burden.

Ah! Suzanne!
Who will dare to love a witch?
And be bewitched?
To fall headlong into the ditch
And let the souls be switched?
To be imprisoned in your wrinkled arms
And spellbound in your spangled charms?
I would rather play you my talking drum
And hum you my songs while you drink your rum.

Iya Adunni! Princess of Osun
Who has become an icon?
An icon of their souls and goddess of their Art
The Art that is the breath of your spirit
White Yoruba woman
Who has become an African?
Your kindred of the sacred grove
Will offer you the turtledove
But, I will offer you the Eucharist
For if this will be the Last Sacrament
Let it be the sacrament of the New Testament
Of your new birth in the eternal spirit of Christ.

No comments: