Tuesday, June 03, 2008

A Father's Love

A Father's Love

by Filoiann Wiedenhoff

In the United States Father's Day is June 15, 2008. I understand in New Zealand Father's Day is in September but I hope you don't mind if I celebrate our Father's Day with all of you.

My father was a first sergeant in the Marine Corp who served in the Vietnam War and came home with wounds and purple hearts to show for it. I was born during that time in November of 1967 and remember seeing him for the first time when I was about five years old.

He was there a few days after I was born but had to return back to Vietnam shortly after, so I never saw him before that day, at least not that I can remember and didn't know him but that didn't matter to me.

I still remember the day he came home from the war, my mother, brothers and I were standing right outside, where the planes landed waiting anxiously for him to walk out of the plane.

Suddenly, a handsome young man dressed in a beige marine uniform with medals swarming the side of his chest and wearing a sharp hat to match, started walking toward us. I still remember my mother bending down beside me and whispered in my ear saying, "That's your father" and without any hesitation I remember running up to him as fast as I could, opened up my arms and jumped right into his chest. He caught me in the air, hugged me tight and swung me around laughing with the biggest smile I ever saw.

At that moment in time it didn't matter that I didn't know him, all I knew was that He was my father and that I loved Him and he obviously loved me back. It was the beginning of new relationship and I couldn't wait to get started.

Our relationship never changed from that day. I was daddy's little girl and only girl so I can honestly say I was indeed spoiled and my three brothers, Jaffa, John and James can all testify to that fact, but they were okay with it; being that I was a "girl" and all.

There's something special about a father's love that makes you feel secure, protected and grounded in who you are. Perhaps it's because of their strong stature, their demeanor or the fact that you know that they go to work day in and day out to support their family whether they feel like it or not. It's not a conscious thought on our part it's just a sense of comfort and security that they are there.

There's a quote by Billy Graham, a well known Christian Evangelist who said, "A good father is one of the most unsung, unpraised, unnoticed, and yet one of the most valuable assets in our society."

I agree with Billy Graham, father's do so much, they mean so much and are valuable in our society but are not given the praise and appreciation they deserve. I pray that this father's day you would honor your fathers, husbands, brothers and any men you know that are in that important role and bless them with your words of affirmation, your actions and your love for all they do and don't forget that you have a heavenly father who loves you and is right there with you.

I would like to make a special dedication to my father, David Jaffa Solomon, my husband Daniel Wiedenhoff and my Heavenly Father.

My father is now in heaven but I know that I will see Him again. I just want to say, "Dad, I salute you with all my heart and I'm so proud of you. Thank you for loving me, my family and my country. I love you and I will see you again!"

To my husband Dan, Thank you for being a wonderful father, for all that you do, your hard work, labor of love and commitment to taking care of your family, even when you are tired, weary or don't feel like it. No matter how you feel you still get up and go to work every day to provide for us. We love you, appreciate you and thank you for all that you do!

To my God and Heavenly Father, thank you for sacrificing your only Son to give us eternal life. Your unconditional love that never fails, your consistent caring for us and that you never leave us nor forsake us. There is nothing in this world I could give to say thank you for all that you have done for us and are still doing except to say that my prayer is that we could show you our appreciation by living a life that honors you and glorifies your name. Thank you so much and we love you!

To all you father's, "Happy Father's Day!" May you be blessed this day with peace, love and many blessings. We honor you and we appreciate you for all you do!

----

Filoiann Wiedenhoff is a Pastor's Wife, Work at Home Mom, Woman's Biblical Counselor, Bible Teacher and Writer. You can subscribe to her monthly newsletter and visit her website on Filoiann Wiedenhoff.

.......
Do You Know That We Celebrate, Encourage and Reward Mothers

No comments: