Thursday, April 10, 2008

What's Your Purpose in Life?

Thursday, April 10, 2008

1. What's Your Purpose in Life?

From the Apostle Paul: "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing."1

"Josh McDowell tells about an executive 'headhunter' who recruits corporate executives for large firms. This headhunter once told McDowell that when he interviews an executive, he likes to disarm him. 'I offer him a drink,' said the headhunter, 'take off my coat, undo my tie, throw up my feet and talk about baseball, football, family, whatever, until he's all relaxed. Then, when I think I've got him relaxed, I lean over, look him square in the eye and say, "What's your purpose in life?" It's amazing how top executives fall apart at that question.'

"Then he told about interviewing one fellow recently. He had him all disarmed, had his feet up on his desk, talking about football. Then the headhunter leaned over and said, 'What's your purpose in life, Bob?' And the executive said, without blinking an eye, 'To go to heaven and take as many people with me as I can.'

"'For the first time in my career,' said the headhunter, 'I was speechless.'"2

I've asked this same question to scores of people over the years in seminars I have led. Just about everybody believes God has a God-given life purpose for them, but when I ask them what it is, very few have ever carefully thought it through and written it down.

If we want to die well, we need to live well, and if we are to live well, it is imperative that we know what our God-given life purpose is and with God's help give it our best shot.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to discern my God-given life purpose so that I know exactly what it is. And please help to fulfill this purpose so when I come to the end of my life's journey, I will know that I have not lived in vain. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

1. 2 Timothy 4:7-8, (NIV).
2. Dr. Gary Nicolosi, "Preparing for the End Time," sermon, www.stbartschurch.org/sermarch/sb110799.html

<:))))<><

No comments: