Friday, April 25, 2008

Remember Your First Kiss Day

Remember Your First Kiss Day [Apr 26]

My niece, Rachael, is growing up so fast that I can hardly keep up! She's going to have her elementary school graduation soon and well, she had a small incident with the opposite sex... She didn't know who to talk to. She didn't want to go straight to Liz, her mom. So she talked to me about it. Liz and David were going out for a romantic dinner that night so I had to babysit Rachael. She was first acting funny, like she had something to say. She wasn't doing a very good job of hiding it, either--she's someone who speaks her mind whenever a thought hits her.

Sensing her unease, I asked her, "What's on your mind, Rachael? Is there something you want to talk about?" Rachael was quiet at first. "Well... something happened at school the other day..." she was hesitant to share, so I just kept quiet to give her time. "I got kissed by a boy." I didn't know what I was supposed to say. So I just said, "Oh, was he any good?" trying to act normal. "What's good? I dunno. But he's cute," she said. I started smiling. "It happened after school, we came out of the class late that day. We were working on a group project together for the science fair. We just finished writing our report and sticking pictures on the poster board. My teacher went out of the class for a second, and that's when Tommy kissed me," Rachael looked up at me, uncertain.

Then she asked, "What was your first kiss like, Uncle Bob?" Another surprise. "Um... well, Megan and I were playing on the monkey bars, and a couple of our friends dared us to kiss while we were on there. I think we were in first or second grade. I was shy, but Megan swung over and kissed me smack on the lips. I was so shocked I almost let go of the bar," Rachael started giggling and asked, "That's so sweet. Did you guys ever go out?" "No, we've always been friends. That's how it'll be, I think." And I asked, "So, are you going to tell your mother about Tommy?" Rachael started smiling again and said, "Ya, I think I'll tell both of them tomorrow." I'm just glad she felt she could talk to me. That was very important to me.

~ From Bob,
The Editor 123 Greetings

Click here to Send Remember Your First Kiss Day Ecards Free!

No comments: