Monday, March 24, 2008

ÁSÁ: A Beautiful Musician With A Wonderful Voice

Ásá: A Beautiful Musician With A Wonderful Voice



"I want my music to touch people. As an African, I want to give hope back to my people, but also to speak in their name. I want to show the world that something beautiful and positive can come out of the black continent and inspire young people all over the world."



I have not written anything important on any Nigerian musician since I interviewed Keziah Jones in March, 2005 and interviewed Aladin in 2006. Ásá deserves an important post on Kisses & Roses.

I have listened to Bukola Elemide, aka, Ásá, and I am never tired of listening to this young, blessed, and lifted Nigerian female musician. She is a class apart from the rest of the new generation of Nigerian singers. She understands music and plays the guitar with dexterity to prove it.
I will ask Keziah Jones to do a better musical analysis of Ásá, because he should know how best to review her musical compositions and renditions.
I love her songs 360 and No One Knows Tomorrow.
Her lyrics read like pure poetry.



The musical depth of Ásá's songs is her greatest strength.
Nigeria has never been blessed with such a beautiful musician with a wonderful voice since Sade Adu. Music aficionados are comparing her to the equally gifted young Nigerian soul singer and guitarist Joy Olasunmibo Ogunmakin, aka, Ayo, Tracy Chapman and India.Arie. I believe Ásá is more poetic. She is original and universal.
Ásá means hawk in Yorubá, but what I see in Bukola Elemide is a songbird soaring like an eagle.



Ásá has all the musical qualities of an excellent artiste and she is most likely the next Nigerian female singer who will win the Grammy. She is not a parody of the American Hip-Hop musicians like most of the musicians in Nigeria whose greatest achievement is sampling and lip-synching to American Hip-Hop with interjections of the Pidgin English or local dialects. Her eponymous album is a collector’s item.

Ásá is a national treasure and a worthy ambassador of Nigeria in the musical arena of the world.

PHOTOS CREDITS: NAIVE

2 comments:

Engee said...

OH LAWD.....I just LOOOOOVVVEEEEE this lady

EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

She is a gifted artiste.

I thank God for her success.
She is the pride of Nigeria.

Cheers and God bless.