Friday, May 26, 2006

My Mother Forever


Mama,
Today makes it 13 years ago, when you left this fair and foul world
You left us to continue to bear the agonies of the ironies of life.
Mama,
If you asked me whether you are missing anything on earth?
Except our smiles and our headaches.
The world is going from bad to worse.
Careless and reckless lives of crimes
Lunatic fringe elements on rampage provoking wars
Refugees of man made disasters are even worse than refugees of natural disasters.
Remember the Nigerian civil war and the days we were refugees in Biafra.
Our father who refused to flee left you a grass widow to bear the burden of six kids.
Innocent victims of a war of survival and tribal vendetta.
You lost your first child and daughter Chioma and younger sons Mike and Ifeanyi in the refugees camps and only three survived. Nnamdi, myself and Stella.
Mama,
Mother of my genius.
My uncles say I remind them of Chioma.
Precocious and enchanted child.
"Ogbanje" spirit-child from another world.
And before Papa died before you, he told me that we came from the water.
So, that was why the White witch-doctor called me an Aquarian?
But that was the devil's lie.

Our destinies are not in the stars.
But in our own hands
And God has given us the awesome gifts of the wonders of his creation.

26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, [a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

27 So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.
~~ Genesis 1:26-27 (Holy Bible, New International Version)

14. "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.
15. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.
16. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
~~ Matthew 5:14-16 (The Holy Bible, New International Version)

Mama,
I light this candle for you today in memory of your awesome life and to give thanks to the Almighty God for making you my mother and if there was ever a perfect mother, she would be you Mrs. Gladys Unuamaighiuwa Eke.
I will tell your grandchildren and great-grandchildren about you my blessed mother who was the daughter of God.

9 comments:

Sasha said...

Thank you for your message and for the beautiful post about your mother. It sounds like she was a very strong and amazing women.

EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

Sasha,
God bless.

God made my mother an awesome woman, wife and mother and I thank God for such an awesome blessing.

Happy Memorial Day!

Jim said...

u have gone through ruff times Orikinla

and u havent turned bitter
your mama done a good job in the way she raised u


May u now have roses roses all the way

EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

Amen Saby.
I need as many well wishes and kisses and roses good natured people like you can give me. And I will share them with others.

God bless.

Anthony Arojojoye said...

I wish those she left behind the strength to forge ahead and make an impact in life.

Thanks for your comment. I'll try & do that

EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

Thank you Tony.

God bless.

Keshi said...

Im sorry I couldnt be here b4...this is such a beautiful dedication to ur Ma's memory...Im sure she's watching over ya...I feel so sad now...thinking of my dad..

And Saby is right...ur momma's done a great job on ya!

Keshi.

EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

Thanks Keshi.

Thank God your mother is very much alive and well in flesh and blood and you love each other.

I miss my dad too.

God bless.

Unknown said...

This Poem brings back memories, though I havent lost any of my parents, but practically I always feel I have lost my dad spiritually. My best friend lost both parents and I have seen the rough times she's been going through.

May the Almighty God always be with you always Orikinla. You are one of his most beautiful creations.

Bless You!