Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Every Young Girl Needs An Older Man


Rosie.

~ By Rosie Mortimer


Timeless love: Rosie says older men are practical and protective.


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1043124/Every-young-girl-needs-older-man-writes-author-John-Mortimers-daughter.html#ixzz1uwn6c73U


1 am 24 and have recently become engaged to a 41-year-old man. But guess what? I'm not after his money and he's not going through a mid-life crisis.

A lot of people seem to see an age gap of almost two decades as potentially problematic. In fact, it's just the opposite.

Certainly, a difference in ages seemed to work for both our sets of parents. My fiancé George's father is 17 years older than his mother, while my parents have 23 years between them. Both couples are still together.

My mother Penelope met my father, writer and barrister John Mortimer, at a New Year's Eve party when she was 23. They ended up dancing to Yummy Yummy Yummy, by Ohio Express.

She was a beautiful young woman who would usually see a boyfriend until he became besotted, by which time she had lost interest. What made my father different?



He made her laugh, he was ferociously intelligent and self-confident. I wonder if, had he been born 20 years later, he would have had the same effect on her.

I have thought about this in relation to George. He is a guitarist who has worked with K. T. Tunstall and Nick Cave and now plays with Groove Armada. We met through friends and after a few months of flirting finally got together.

I did not know how old he was until six weeks into our relationship: he had taken me to Prague for a romantic weekend and I took a sneaky look at his passport.

How would it be, I have pondered, if he were just a year or two older than I am? Of course I would still find him attractive, but would things have worked out the same?

Women grow up faster than men. Picking up a friend's 12-year-old from school recently, I noticed how mature most of the girls were compared with boys of the same age.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1043124/Every-young-girl-needs-older-man-writes-author-John-Mortimers-daughter.html#ixzz1uwmLkrw8






No comments: