Monday, September 05, 2005

Beyond the Sea



BEYOND THE SEA
(I am dedicating this my poem in memorial tribute to all those who died in the New Orleans catastrophe of Hurricane Katrina.)

I see beyond the sea
What only my eyes can see.

I have swam in the rivers
And I waded through the streams
Now I want to sail across the great waters
Sailing to the shores of my dreams.

Now, I remember what Mama said.
As I wept on the bed where she was laid.
“We will not pick cotton in heaven
And there is no Uncle Tom’s cabin and no Uncle Sam’s coven.”
Then, Mama whispered to me, “We will all be well.
When all the bad people have gone to hell.”

I see castles in the clouds
In the clouds where heaven lies
Where no one dies.
There I see the gathering crowds
And they are beckoning at me
To join them in the land beyond the sea.