Sunday, March 08, 2009

Notes from the Heart of Lagos City


Christabel Momodu on the yellow motor bike for a photo shoot.

Work has become very challenging and even success can come with stress as I have discovered working for Supple magazine in Lagos. We have been working all days, including on Sundays since the beginning of this year 2009.
The third issue of Supple magazine is going to be worth celebrating for many reasons. Three members of Nairaland Forum who responded to our open invitation for contributors have been published and one of them is a very brilliant young woman whose two articles were irresistible and the humorous title of one of her articles is even making the cover of this special international edition of Supple magazine. Supple magazine was the only Nigerian news media accredited at the 30th Festival of 3 Continents in Nantes, France, and for the 81st Academy Awards in the U.S. and we are organizing the First Supple Magazine Forum on Nollywood and the Cannes Film Festival before going for Cannes in May.

I am also busy writing and preparing three unpublished volumes of my writings for publication. The most important volume is my book on the presidential campaign, nomination and election of Barack Obama as the first Black President of the United States of America. The book is in the good and safe hands of my American Editor Pamela and I have appointed the Publisher of Supple magazine as my manager in Nigeria and abroad.

I have not been with my Sweetest since last August and I am missing her. I appreciate the company of Linda Ikeji, the beautiful model and Publisher of the FM&B magazine, Funke, Vicky Charmy, Christabel Momodu and other beauties who have been making my life in Lagos exciting. Christabel is one of the hottest models in Nigeria today and you can see her in the latest edition of True Love magazine. She is hottie on the motorbike in the picture above. Isn’t she dark and lovely?!


But yesterday, I was heart broken by the predicament of a 13 year old house girl who was lured away Friday night and raped till day break. She could not even tell the location of the man who abducted her and raped her in the suburb of Shomolu in Lagos, Nigeria.
The girl is from Togo where many housemaids hired by Nigerian families come from.
Many young girls and women are abused and raped daily in Nigeria and the rapists often escape from prosecution. This is the subject of the new novel of Bisi Daniels, The Girl From Nigeria.


No comments: