Thursday, November 01, 2007

Memories of Yesterday: Seeta Aur Geeta

My father of blessed memory was a film buff who loved Hollywood and Bollywood and he took us to see films every weekend in the 1970s in Lagos.

We went to the popular cinema houses, Kings Cinema on Igbosere Street in Lafiaji, Sheila on the Broad Street near Campus Square, Plaza on Berkley Street in Onikan and Royal Cinema near the Lion's Building of the Nigerian Police Force off Broad Street.
My father, my mother, my elder brother, younger sister, two younger brothers and my youngest brother who was a toddler then was always strapped on my mother's back with her wrapper and another long strip of cloth called Oja by the Yorubas as we took cabs to these cinema houses.

I loved the Western Cowboys versus Red Indian films, war films and Bollywood films.
One of the Bollywood films I cannot forget is Seeta Aur Geeta, when the most celebrated Bollywood actress Hema Malini was at the zenith of her beauty and acting genius. No boy or man saw Hema Malini in her youth and did not fall in love with her. She was just too attractive and captivating on the silver screen.



Directed by Ramesh Sippy
Produced by R. P. Sippy
Written by Salim-Javed
Starring Hema Malini,
Sanjeev Kumar,
Dharmendra
Music by R. D. Burman
Release date(s) 1972
Running time 166 mins
Language Hindi


Hema Malini is now 59 years old and still very beautiful as she is aging gracefully.


Hema Malini

I thought Amitabh Bachchan and Hema Malini would end up as husband and wife, because they were the best match in Bollywood in those wonderful years of the 1970s.


Amitabh Bachchan



Sholay is rated as the best Bollywood film of all time. I consider Seeta Aur Geeta as the most romantic Bollywood thriller since 1972 till date.

Seeta Aur Geetais a 1972 Hindi film directed by Ramesh Sippy. The story is by Salim-Javed and the music by R.D. Burman.

The story is about identical twins (played by Hema Malini) who are separated at birth and grow up with different temperaments. The twins then swap places (like The Prince and the Pauper). Hema's two partners in the movie are played by Dharmendra and Sanjeev Kumar. Manorama excels in her role as the evil aunt who changes her tune after her arm is twisted (literally).

~ From Wikipedia

Continued below...



Bollywood beauties made me to love India and I ended up having a pretty Nigerian-Indian beauty, Anita, as a close friend. Anita's grandfather was an Indian from Mumbai. I would have married an Indian beauty, but I delayed it.

1 comment:

Keshi said...

I hv neva seen that movie! But I know my mum n dad used to be fans of Hema Malini, Dharmendra and Bachchan. They r great stars!

Keshi.