Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving [Nov 22]

The Thanksgiving dinner last year was really special. Boy, have I got a story for you! It was at Megan's place and all of us were gathered, even my niece Rachel and sister Debbie. Megan has this fine teakwood table with artful carvings. We all sat around the table and there were two chairs to be taken. Rachel wouldn't let anybody take the one next to her. She announced that it's for her favorite teddy bear. And for the other one, there was a special guest. A wealthy businessman was invited and he occupied the chair. Next to him was seated Megan's granddad, Mr. Branson, a charming gentleman, who spoke in fragmented sentences and started and ended every anecdote with a joke.

He was old and his eyesight was poor. He used the fork on the table more than the plate and spilled wine from time to time. The businessman thundered aloud his immodesty and bragged about how he owns half the town, his lineage, cars, et al. He didn't quite make an impression and Megan's granddad, Mr. Branson stole his thunder with his sweet stories and this irked the rich one! He could see people smiling when Mr. Branson was on and dutifully eating when he came on with his sermon.Offended, he called for a change of seat. He was irritated by the old man's untidy table etiquette and complained loudly about it. Just then, Mr. Branson happened to spill some soup, which found its way to the floor. Last straw...“Damn you, old man, you are a fool, you should be ashamed of yourself... I just can't stand him!” And eyed the chair next to Rachel.

Everyone of us were too stunned to speak...Rachel wiggled out of the chair with tiny feet touching the floor. She took the teddy from the chair next to her, made a roundabout, walked over to the businessman. “It's alright, you don’t need to sit beside a fool” - this she delivered straight to Mr. Branson, held his arm and offered the chair beside her.Teddy was perched atop the table and all of us could see that it didn't mind losing the chair! It was the Thanksgiving dinner.

From Bob,
The Editor of 123 Greetings Newletter.

2 comments:

Keshi said...

Amazing story!

Happy TG to ya!

btw Ori plz read my comment-reply to u in my current post and my last post where u gave me some GIGO advice. I also copied that comment and my reply to it to my current post's comment section.


tnxx!
Keshi.

EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

Sweet Keshi,
I hope you had a good weekend?

I have read and posted my replies.

If you do not need the advice. others who also read my comments might have gained from the knowledge shared.

Cheers and God bless 24/7.