Thursday, January 17, 2008

Martin Luther King, Jr: Love Is Life

"Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it."

~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Fighting for your rights and standing up for them is what America is all about. I can't find a more patriotic cause than that. So I was really excited when I met Frederick Gray in my usual bar. He was talking to Pete - our regular bartender. He was so enthusiastic that I just had to introduce myself.He's a seven foot tall big guy with really long dreads. He's named after the abolitionist and reformer Frederick Douglass. He was passing out postcards for a Black History Month poetry slam down at the Lower East Side poets’ cafe. We bought each other drinks and we talked about his experiences in the Civil Rights Movement. We talked about Martin Luther King, Jr., Malcolm X and the Black Panthers.

It was really a great discussion of how people can change the course of history together.For me it was uplifting, I mean here I was so concerned about my breakup and being so self-centered. Then a guy like Fred walks into my life and changes my whole outlook. It only happens in New York, I tell ya!

This week's Zen quote comes from Martin Luther King, Jr. he said, "Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it." Spread the love brother, ya know what I'm saying? I've decided to not hate or be bitter about stuff. I think no matter what the future holds, I’m going to have a positive outlook on things. I'll let you know how I'm doing next week!

2 comments:

Keshi said...

wut a beautiful post that echoes goodwill!

Keshi.

EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

Aussie Beauty,
When love is shared
Love would be doubled.

When sadness is shsred
Sadness would be reduced.

True love never lies
True love never dies.
Because true love is a spirit
It dwells in a pure heart
And uplifts your soul.