Monday, December 22, 2008

Do Not Make The Mistake I Made Today


Balogun Market

I lost $600 today at the over-crowded Balogun market in Lagos, Nigeria.

I went to meet with two business women and bought a bag for my Sweetest. The whole place was congested as thousands of people were buying and selling goods and the Christmas shopping makes Balogun to buzz with activities. I needed $600 to pay my editor for my new book. I decided to patronize the local foreign exchange dealers nearby and paid them N82, 800 for $600. I never suspected that they were fake and I left to make the money transfer at the Zenith Bank nearby. Whilst I was waiting, I asked one of the workers to check the dollars and he discovered that they were fake. I was disappointed and upset, but not shocked, because sharp practices are common on the streets of Lagos. This was my first time of being duped. The three criminals must be happy that they got away with my hard earned money and delayed the payment of my editor. They reminded me of the characters in Conspiracy of Lagos.

Do not make the mistake I made today.


No comments: