Saturday, August 20, 2011

When Omotola shared her Oranges with me

Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde


We were on location on the Ikorodu Road in Lagos. It is a large workplace beside White Soul Autos.
Emeka Ike, Emeka Enyiocha, Segun Arinze, Ejike Asiegbu, Regina Askia and other Nollywood stars and wannabes were there. We were relaxing in-between rehearsals. She and Regina were the prettiest and sexiest there. She was eating oranges and there were others also eating or drinking. Then she walked over to where I was sitting and offered me one of her two oranges. I was not expecting it, because we were not that familiar even though we have seen each other at other auditions. I politely accepted her orange and thanked her. I ate it, but never chatted with her after this meeting, because I was not interested in her. She was only 17 then and I was in a relationship and my regular companion was a young amazon from Port Harcourt who never gave other girls a breathing space whenever she was on holidays in Lagos. A rich girl, smoking, drinking and clubbing and could drive any of their cars. And I slept at her place several times whenever her elder sisters traveled. With her around, there was no space for another girl. So, I never had time to befriend the young actress who shared her oranges with me before I left acting to face my regular office work as an IEC Program Officer all over Nigeria.

Today, she is celebrated as one of the sex symbols in Nollywood and a happily married wife and mother of lovely children. And I thank God for Mrs. Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde.





No comments: